Planting on the Thames
Recently, we were approached by a new customer who had a mature garden on an island in the River Thames, but over the years some of her large trees had seen substantial crown reduction that opened up her garden and exposed this large bridge. She decided that she wanted to screen it off to reduce the noise and provide privacy. Afterwards she wrote and said;
‘Sarah was incredibly helpful with this project which seemed daunting to us. It’s not every day that one decides to plant 30’ tree! Thanks for helping us!’ - Elizabeth Lillie
- Here are a few pictures of the solution and how we accomplished it, without any damage even though heavy machinery was required.
- Unfortunately, the only way over was over this 15 ton GVW bridge, but the client wanted big trees.
- Even the access points on the other side were not ideal for a 17 meter (55’) long articulated lorry to bring trees that were over 10 meter tall to site.
- On the nursery, three large 2,300 litre AirPot grown standard Thuja’s were selected to do the job as they are great at soundproofing.
- We couldn’t get any of our trucks near the job, so our largest, heavy lift, truck mounted Manitou truck mounted forklift ferried the tree from our truck.
- Over the bridge and down the road to the clients home.
- There our track mounted Mooroka crane was waiting to carry the tree over the grass for planting.
- Three large standard Thuju’s block out the bridge and a Betula utilis ‘Jaquemontii’ is planted as the final touch