Visit the Nursery
You are warmly invited to browse our entire 27 acres of trees anytime during opening hours. An appointment is not necessary for the independently-minded explorer, as our nursery is fairly visitor friendly and we always aim to have at least one advisor based in our reception to get you started with a few suggestions. Alternatively, if you have specific objectives and would appreciate spending some quality, one-to-one time with an advisor on the nursery, please don’t hesitate to book an appointment. Our advisory appointments are complimentary, one-to-one sessions of up 45 minutes. Please note this is a limited service and as Saturdays can be very busy we operate on a first come first serve basis.
Majestic Trees is only ¼ mile from the M1. If you come via the M1, exit at Junction 9 and go west (Follow the A5/Whipsnade Zoo sign). Immediately on your left is the Harvester restaurant and Premier Inn complex. Take the next left turn, sign-posted ‘Flamstead’ onto Chequers Hill. On your immediate right is a pond, followed by the entrance to the nursery.
Majestic Trees Chequers Meadow, Chequers Hill, Flamstead. Nr. St. Albans. Hertfordshire. AL3 8ET
Phone: 01582 843 881 Fax: 01582 843 882
Our postcode is AL3 8ET
Whilst we have a near St Albans address, we are actually 8 miles away in a village much closer to Harpenden or secondly Luton railway stations very near to the M1 at junction 9. Whilst there are buses that run from either of these towns train stations, you will need to get a connection that can take hours, so we highly recommend getting a taxi for the 10+ minute journey, that you will find waiting outside the stations. If you are coming from further afield, some customers fly in to Luton Airport, a 15 minute cab ride away.
If you wish to come by helicopter, Harrods Aviation offers facilities at Luton Airport, or we can arrange for you to land in a field nearby at the Hertfordshire County Showground, though you will have to clear this with Luton Airport as we are on their flightpath.
Make the Most of Your Visit
We are delighted you are considering visiting us. We like to think we offer a pretty unique experience, so here are a few tips to help ensure you get the most out of the day:
- Make an appointment if you would like some quality one-on-one time with an advisor. We can offer appointments of up to 45 minutes. You may wish to forward images of your proposed planting area ahead so your advisor can start thinking of some suggestions. Please note this is a limited service and as Saturdays can be very busy we operate on a first come first serve basis.
- Bring photos of your proposed planting site, ideally with someone standing in them for scale reference. It helps us enormously when providing advice, and you will find it invaluable to refer back to them yourself as you browse.
- Have an online browse through our range in treefinder first, and print out profile pages for any trees you’d like to have a look at when you visit. With over 450 varieties and 7000 individual trees, it is very useful to browse online first! At the bottom of each variety profile page, you will find our current stock availability, and, if you print the profile, the nursery locations of the stock will also appear. Bringing along profile pages will not only help you remember what appealed to you about the variety, you will have sizes, prices and nursery locations already to hand when you arrive. The hyper-organised can even preprint a site map!
- Measure the narrowest access widths, from the place where a delivery lorry would park, to your planting position. Note any height restrictions, steps, etc. These practical considerations are important to consider early as they will affect the planning and cost of delivery and planting.
- Wear sturdy footwear and clothing. We are a production nursery so the ground is uneven underfoot and can get very muddy (and cold!) in season. We always provide a selection of Wellington boots for customer use, but you may wish to bring your own.
- Be mindful when bringing children. We aim to be as safe as possible, but there are hazards to beware of, including pesticides, open water, sharp objects and heavy machinery. Some areas are not accessible by pram in summer, most are inaccessible by pram in wet/winter conditions.
- Disabled access. The terrain on the nursery is quite challenging – muddy, sloping and uneven. Those less able are encouraged to please visit by appointment so we can show you around the nursery in a golf buggy.
- Allow enough time. We’d recommend you allow at least an hour to browse the nursery, though you can easily spend two hours or more on a pleasant sunny day, especially if you have several trees to select!
- Enjoy the day. We are fortunate to be sited on the outskirts of our picturesque village of Flamstead, at the edge of the Chilterns. Footpaths radiate out from the heart of the village and we can highly recommend our charming pub The Spotted Dog for morning coffee, lunch or dinner.
Through the spring summer and early autumn months, the nursery is open Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00 pm and on Saturday 10.00 am to 5.00 pm. During the shorter winter days of November to February, we have slightly reduced Saturday hours, opening from 10.00 am and close at 4.00 pm. (It’s hard to see the trees in the dark!). We advise allowing a minimum of one hour to browse the nursery, ideally two or more.
Collection Service: Due to the size of our stock we are unable to provide a ‘cash and carry’ service, however we are very happy to prepare trees for collection from the nursery by appointment Monday to Friday before 4pm.